Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Slow your roll, AC

Wow. Who's been to the grocery store lately?

I know that I should expect the prices here to cause bile to rise in my throat. I did just move back from downstates, where prices are lower. I know that. There's an adjustment period that you have to take into account, even though I have a job and am making money. That doesn't mean that I really want to spend it. Especially not on groceries.

But for being gone for just one year, there are some things at AC that I can't believe have gotten that much more expensive. The 20oz bottle of soda that was $2.39 before is now $2.79. That's quite the increase. $.40 in one year? I know that soda didn't increase in price anywhere else downstates...and frankly, it's saved me quite a few bucks because I can't imagine paying almost $3.00 for something that's bad for me anyway. Funnily enough, a gallon of milk has stayed steady at $8.99, but the half gallons have gone from $5.79 to $6.19 (but at least they're not $6.79, like at Swanson's). It's completely outrageous.

Not that I won't buy things. I tried that for about a week...and then caved. There are some things that I didn't get as much of as I wanted in my JV year, and I don't care how much it costs, I WILL get my orange juice!

Ahh, the trials and tribulations of living in rural Alaska...

Love, Bethy

No comments: