Friday, February 25, 2011

Stand up.

I'm furious.

I'm furious and I am not sure what to do about it.

I rarely blog about political things because I find I'm either preaching to the choir or picking a fight. I know that I have friends who disagree with my liberal leanings, and I'm ok with still being their friend. I wouldn't want everyone to agree with me all the time - that would make life pretty damn boring. And, honestly, before now, I haven't felt that extremely affected by political bullshit going down in DC. I have been functioning just like most Americans - only paying attention to things that will impact me right NOW.

Well, you got it. There's something impacting me. ME. RIGHT NOW.

I am an American citizen with no health insurance, and a pre-existing condition that prohibits me from getting coverage with most providers. I have a job. I pay my taxes. I love my country and I recognize that sometimes people can't pay doctor's prices for essential services like pap smears, breast exams, STD tests.

I stand with Planned Parenthood because even with a job, I need help paying for medical expenses.

Abortion has nothing to do with my argument. If those on the other side of this feel that people who would go into Planned Parenthood for an abortion shouldn't be able to, what would they say to me? I'm not going in for an abortion. I and other low income and/or uninsured Americans are going in for condoms, or for a pap smears, for birth control pills, or for information on STDs, for breast exams, or for prenatal care. Where would you have us go?

As an American, as a woman, as someone who would never block access to cancer screenings to ANYONE, regardless of age, sex, race or political leanings, I stand with Planned Parenthood.

Will you stand with me?

-Bethy


No comments: