Monday, March 21, 2011

Toksook Bay

I'm in Toksook Bay today (through Wednesday) for work. I am here with my coworker Virginia, who is from here, and that makes the village trip so completely awesome. It's hard to come into a community and try to help people when you have absolutely no legitimacy at all, but seriously, having someone who is from the community vouch for you makes all the difference. That, and it's fun to have snowmachine rides with someone you know, and a mother who is making dinner tonight. :) Virg took me on a little ride to the ocean today - I guess technically, it's the Bering Sea, and I snowmachined on the Bering Sea!!!

Toksook also has three windmills that stand up on the bluffs just overlooking the water, and they're really beautiful from the sea. And as pretty as it is now, it's still all white and snowy - I bet it's fabulous during the summer, when it's open blue water and open blue sky.

I guess I'll have to come back :)

More updates on Toksook later -


Love, Bethy

No comments: